To be honest, I didn’t know anything about URL shortening services on my earlier blogging days!!
I only realized the importance and benefits of using URL shortener tools at the time of promoting my brand on various social networks.
Why Shorten URL?
I can give you two advantages of using short URL here –
- makes Sharing easier.
- use Fewer Character Spaces when you are restricted to write for example – Twitter.
- you can Track the Performance of your links. [Depends on service you use!]
Now, that you know the importance of using an URL shortener in Social Media Marketing your next question would be –
Which URL Shortening Service Provider You Should Use?
Well, today I am incorporating the best URL shortening tools that have one or the other unique features.
So if you aren’t using shorten URLs, it is time to start now.
1. Google URL Shortener Tool
One of my favorite and best link shortener that I use right now is Google URL shortener!!
Very quick to get things done and most amazing part is – you can track all your shorten links under one roof.
- Head over to Google URL Shortener website page and Sign in with your Gmail account.
- Enter your original URL under Simplify your links textbox and click the Shorten URL button.
- That’s it! You got the short URL ready to share, tweet and emailed to your users.
- Analytics data for short URL – under this field you can track Total Clicks, Referrers, Browsers, Countries, and Operating System Platforms.
- QR code
- Hide URL – this section will only hide short links from your dashboard table but remain public and accessible by anyone.
One thing that I would like to mention –
- short URLs don’t work in Pinterest!! It is done in order to save their platform from getting spammed or linking inappropriate content.
2. Bitly – Bitlink Management Platform
Yet another best URL shortener service that I like the most is Bitly!
A powerful tool that allows you to Shorten links, Measure individual link performance and Optimize them to fit your audience needs better.
- You can Customize the Links with your favorable text but there is one drawback too..
..like there will be possibilities for the name which you are going to allow is already been taken by someone!!
- So if you want the insights for all your social channels to build robust monthly reports..
..and optimize your social marketing then try your hand on this tool.
3. Buffer Link Shortening Service Provider
Who hasn’t heard the name of Buffer tool!!
Buffer is a great tool used by over 3+ million peoples to schedule their blog post on various social platforms.
- Link shortening,
- Pablo image creator,
- Supported Video formats,
- Browser extension,
- Android and iOS app.
Buffer incorporates Bitly (bit.ly) account, Buffer (buff.ly) for URL shortening though the service mention j.mp too but this is same as bitly!!
The only difference is it uses 2 characters less than bit.ly. Ultimately, you can use either and can track down the results in buffer that comes from bitly platform.
So keep track of all your links under one roof and see how they travel across the web!!
In the Free plan, you get schedule 10 posts and access to all social platforms except Pinterest.
4. TinyURL – URL Shortening Web Service
As, the title says, TinyURL is a url shortening web service that allows you to shorten long web links.
All the website links that are made short using TinyURL doesn’t break in email postings and never expires!
You can also customize your shorten links. Make use of 6 characters or more for the best chance of getting a unique unassigned alias.
The custom link or alias may contain – letters, numbers, and dashes.
Don’t get surprised by the platform looks! The tool does its job well.
5. IS.GD – A URL Shortener Tool
Is.gd is open source URL shortening tool which can –
- Shorten long links
- Give you the statistics for short URLs
- Provide you a QR code.
You can create custom short URLs! But the custom name must be between 5 and 30 characters long.
You can also see statistics for your custom short URL via a special link provided by the tool.
As said earlier, is.gd URL shortener tool creates QR code! You are recommended to use the lower case option or a lower case custom URL with QR codes.
6. AdFly – URL Shortening Service That Pays!!
You heard right! AdFly pays you for every person who visits your URLs.
AdFly URL shortener tool or adf.ly helps you to shrink long websites link so that you can easily place them on social media accounts.
With adf.ly tool you get paid to share links on the Internet. But to do so you need to register your account on AdFly.
Well, the tool is free and easy to register, pays out for every country, you can earn when someone leaves your website, and get 20% commissions for referrals!
AdFly url shortener has got simple interface to use, active forums, and fast support. Also offers advertisers to create campaigns.
These are few URL shortening providers that are very convenient according to me!!
Let me know which URL shortener are you planning to go with? Also if I am missing any other tool in the list that you use to shorten links?
Drop your thoughts in the comments below. 🙂